High Polygon Count

Jan 30, 2010 at 7:14 PM

Hi, I'd like to use a 425k polygons and 280k vertices 3d model with Balder. How will it render in your opinion? All I am using it for is a slow to medium rotation (3d) around a centre point. It doesn't need speed but it does need to retain it's quality and integrity. Apart from .ase, what other formats are fully supported in Balder ( Balder is coming along in leaps and bounds, good work, I hope you stay with it. Regards Mark

Feb 1, 2010 at 6:07 AM

It will most certainly be slow, I haven't tried that complex models. Would love to give it a try though. I guess for that complex models, lighting will in fact be one of the biggest things. It is something I'm looking into how it can optimized. For now it does in fact take up 25% of the rendering total.

Next version has been optimized quite a lot, with rendering taking a third of what it used to. For this iteration I've been focused on optimization, better Xaml support,  API improvements and a couple of new features - so fileformats has not been on the agenda. I'm hoping to get more focus on formats after this iteration and will focus on getting better support for the ASE format and was hoping to get .X and possibly the good old 3DS format implemented. Also, I've been looking at the FBX format and might look more into that and prioritize that, but nothing written in stone yet. 

As for staying with it; you better believe it. :)    I haven't had this much fun in years.