High CPU usage

Nov 10, 2009 at 7:20 AM

Hi there. I would like to know if other Balder users have experienced extremely high CPU usage when using Balder in SilverLight? For example if I add just a couple of mesh objects onto my scene with some rotation applied to those objects my CPU usage runs constantly between 90% to 100%.

Nov 10, 2009 at 6:59 PM
Edited Nov 10, 2009 at 7:02 PM

I'll put this on our taskboard for things to investigate. We have scheduled quite a few optimizations, and hopefully these numbers will improve. 

There could be something locking on any of our four drawing threads.

Nov 20, 2009 at 10:00 PM

Hi, Just to add my thoughts on this matter:

I was checking out the audi demo and that maxed both cores of my cpu (dual core 4400+ amd) . To me this is a good sign. My computer is totally responisive, I have no Max FPS set. The balder implemenation appears to be using WPF's multicore rendering capabilities excellently. Good work guys. I was running the multicore section of this article:

I have absolutely no issue with 100% cpu usage when it is so responsive.

Nov 21, 2009 at 12:47 AM

Thanks a lot. 

And thanks for checking out this for us. We hoped it would not be a problem, since we're using multi threads and these should fit nicely on multicores.

Good to hear you system is responsive as well - that is what I've seen on my own computer as well. But, that being said - we will be optimizing the entire rendering pipeline even further - so we can squeeze more polygons out of it. This is a process we haven't still focused on, but will start on it as soon as we get a new version out.