Balder SL5 Submaterial

Jun 6, 2011 at 12:39 AM

Does Balder SL5 with GPU handle submaterials?  If not, is there plans to add this?  I'm not seeing where the sub material is pulled out.  I do see where the vertexbuffer is sent to the the graphicsDevice along with the material, but it's only the material diretly assigned to the mesh. 

thanks for any info.

Jun 6, 2011 at 11:49 AM

It will - soon..   I've been jammed with a lot of other work on other projects, but will pick up pace next week. Focus is basically to get SL5 to the level were it holds 100% parity with the SL4 version, plus adding a lot of features, such as Bump mapping and such. So hang tight, we'll get there.. :) 

Jun 8, 2011 at 1:39 PM

Submaterials... this is must have! I didn't have the chance to try using them in Balder with SL4, but i knew they were there, and I also knew I'm gonna need them. Good luck adept!

Jun 8, 2011 at 1:52 PM

I was thinking about this the past few days.  I imagine there is a performance loss by using the sub materials.  I'm going to try and pack all my textures into a single image, then use texture coords to 'select' the correct texture.  I will be interested to see how sub-materials are pulled off, but I'm guessing there will be a cost to using them.

Jun 8, 2011 at 7:08 PM

Hi xersoft. Believe me that I was thinking to the same thing. It will be fine to build a "material manager" that will combine all your materials in a single Texture2D. However, this will have it's limits, depending on your needs. Combining a lot of textures may result in a "too big" texture for some graphics card.

The best way would be to load your textures in  _graphicsDevice.Textures but I don't know how to use this materials when I need them...