Offscreen Rendering

Apr 24, 2011 at 6:30 AM
Edited Apr 24, 2011 at 6:31 AM

first of all great Project and thank you for all the hard work you put into it.

I've got a hopefully simple question about offscreen rendering. I have the following Scenario over here:

I have a Application that runs as a Windows Service so i have no GUI available.

This application hosts a custom build webserver that serves 3D Images to about 200 clients.

What would be the best approach to do off-screen rendering with Balder in such a scenario?

The scenes i need to render consits mostly of simple shapes like boxes and spheres.

Apr 26, 2011 at 6:45 AM

Hi and thanks,

Balder is built for realtime scenarios, meaning it will render sequential frames as fast as it can. Basically there is no API you can call and give it a set of geometries to render to a framebuffer. Although this is what it does internally, this is not exposed. 

Also, the version that is the most feature rich for the renderer is the Silverlight one and that would not work very well from a Windows Service. 

I've had a couple of requests similar to this. I can put it up as a work item and see if we can get around to it in the future.

Apr 26, 2011 at 6:46 AM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.