Camera inside a geometry

Mar 3, 2011 at 6:54 PM
I have create a geometry by myself. And I need to put the camera inside this geometry. When I do that, the application stops working. I'm wondering is it possible to put the camea inside a geometry? My balder version is 0.8.8.9 for Silverlight4.
Coordinator
Mar 5, 2011 at 7:02 AM

There is a clipping bug that makes the CPU go through the roof. 

The clipping bug is the number one priority right now and hopefully will be nailed soon.

Mar 14, 2011 at 2:14 AM

mqs encounters the exact same problem with me.

Thanks for adept's attention, hope this will be resolved soon.

Coordinator
Mar 15, 2011 at 5:57 PM

If you get the latest source now you should have this resolved - if you're interested, read the following thread for more details.

Mar 15, 2011 at 7:09 PM

Thank you for your work !!!

Mar 19, 2011 at 11:49 AM

@msq, do you get the camera works well inside a geometry now? with 26a229b138d6 source code?

@adept, I've tried the newly updated source code, 26a229b138d6 , build the Balder.Silverlight project and use the result dll in my code( see this thread), still got no luck.

Here's the sample with 26a229b138d6 build dll: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4298379/sl/Balder/index.html

Mar 20, 2011 at 2:11 PM

My polygon contains a large number of triangles resulting a poor performance. so I'm waiting for hardware acceleration in Silverlight 5

Mar 21, 2011 at 1:50 AM

My scenario is put the camera inside an sphere, which is from an .ase file, maybe there are hundreds of triangles... But I intend to use Balder on Windows Phone, can't wait for Silverlight 5 on WP. Sigh...

Coordinator
Mar 21, 2011 at 9:53 PM

dilligentpig: I think I might be missing something - your sample seems to work the way I'd expect it to. But maybe I'm misunderstanding your real problem. Are you trying to achieve so that you can be on the outside and the inside of the sphere? Have you tried enabling DoubleSided on the Material?

mqs: Is it possible for you to email me your solution so I can look at what is dragging down the performance? (einar [at] dolittle [dot] com)

Mar 22, 2011 at 2:22 AM

@adept, thanks for your attention, my problem posted once here http://balder.codeplex.com/discussions/246726, and I've set the DoubleSided to true of the Material. My aim is to set the camera inside and at the center of the sphere, with texture material(several jpeg files) on it, so it looks like the google map street view. btw, my test solution is here.

Coordinator
Mar 22, 2011 at 6:49 PM

diligentpig : Ahh..  Ok.   Sorry about that.  Is it possible for you to email me your project, easier for me to jump straight into your sample and get it working?   (and if you have already done that as well - I'm truly truly sorry - a lot is going on these days). 

Mar 25, 2011 at 3:24 AM

@adept, sent you email. Take your time and thanks.

Coordinator
Mar 29, 2011 at 10:16 PM

You'll be happy to know that you can put yourself inside a geometry now without clipping issues. The fact that a material was doublesided was overriding all other aspects of clipping, so even if it was behind the camera, it would get drawn. Not very ideal. :)

Mar 30, 2011 at 3:21 PM

Thanks for your reply and really appreciate your effort. However problem still exists... I don't know whether mqs got his issue fixed or not?

Mar 31, 2011 at 1:23 PM

@adept, I'm sorry that it should be a mistake by me, now I've managed to put the camera inside the sphere and it works just perfect. Thanks very much for all efforts you've done for us!:)

Coordinator
Apr 1, 2011 at 8:53 AM

No problem - glad it works