Silverlight 5 3D API

Dec 11, 2010 at 4:27 AM

Is there any draft document on Silverlight5 3D API? Is it similiar to Balder API? Thanks!

Coordinator
Dec 11, 2010 at 7:41 AM

The API has not been published, but as you can read from the public documentation so far - it is an immediate mode API.

Balder will support the hardware acceleration when the beta is released.

Dec 11, 2010 at 8:59 PM

Here is a URL that helps explain what that means:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff684178(VS.85).aspx

Please correct me if I am wrong but Balder manages the scene, AND manages drawing.  The immediate mode API would mean Balder only manages that scene (what to draw) and then issues drawing commands?  I can't wait to see how that plays out.  I do hope Balder continues though.

Coordinator
Dec 11, 2010 at 10:07 PM

Balder will continue, that I can assure you - its too much fun to develop it. :)

And you're absolutely correct. With immediate mode, we'll get something like OpenGL is providing today - just a basic library to push commands to the graphics adapter no scene management. So there is a life for Balder post SL5. 

The timeline for the first beta has been set to sometime the first half of 2011 and the release sometime in the second half, and Balder will still continue to be developed and optimized even for the software rendering that it has today. 

Dec 17, 2010 at 2:37 PM
adept wrote:

The API has not been published, but as you can read from the public documentation so far - it is an immediate mode API.

Balder will support the hardware acceleration when the beta is released.

Does this means that SL5 3D API will performance faster than Balder?

Coordinator
Dec 17, 2010 at 4:06 PM

It means that the API itself, if it turns out as promised - will not work alone and you need an engine like Balder or write your own to manage the objects and scene. 

Dec 17, 2010 at 11:52 PM

But it could help Balder to run faster!  Some of my speed tests result in me taking out all actual rendering, in those cases Balder is much faster ;)    So if Balder can offload some of that work (actually drawing trangles) it could speed things up a bit.

Coordinator
Dec 18, 2010 at 9:20 AM

That is for sure - the overhead in Balder, the scene management and all that shouldn't take much CPU. Some of the overhead is at the end of the rendering cycle and this could be multithreaded and be optimized a bit as well.