Projecting Text onto a sprite or geometry

Oct 1, 2010 at 2:59 PM

Hi just checkingout this cool project, I just wondered if it was possible to project text onto sprites or geometry faces at multiple levels of detail so you get a glyph kind of effect zoomed out and nice fine text when zoomed in.

Is this possible?

Keep up the good work guys!!

Cheers
Dave.

Coordinator
Oct 1, 2010 at 8:53 PM

Hi,

and thanks. Glad you like it so far.

The level of details for texturing is not finished implemented. But for the projection of text onto a geometry, that should be possible. Could you explain more in detail what you want to do, maybe if you have a screenshot from something that does it on other technologies, it will be easier to understand. 

Oct 2, 2010 at 11:48 AM

I dont really have a concrete example but something like this:

http://www.charlespetzold.com/silverlight/DocumentViewerWithDeepZoomCollection/DocumentViewerWithDeepZoomCollection.html

except rather than deep zoom creating multi tiles the text would be rendered to a geometry face / billboard at multiple levels of detail.

I hope this explains it a bit better...

Coordinator
Oct 2, 2010 at 2:39 PM

Ok. Thanks for clearing that up for me, I thought you wanted to project text onto an arbitrary geometry.

So, basically deep-zoom type level of detail for textures. 

Is it only text you would like in the texture? Or any graphics?

The reason I ask is that it could be interesting to create something called TextMap to be used on the DiffuseMap property of a Material, that could basically take any text in it and use Silverlights TrueType support to generate the different level of detail textures.

Oct 2, 2010 at 8:11 PM

I did want to project text onto a arbitary geometry but for the moment that geometry is just a quad.  

Also the text would need to be changed on the fly, which would mean regenerating the level of details.  Would hardware acceleration be possible for this?

Is there much work left to be done on the texture stuff?

Coordinator
Oct 3, 2010 at 1:52 PM

I guess a Text - Map, would be the way to go, since you want to do changes dynamically. 

For the LOD support for textures, the basic system is in place - all that is needed is the ability to chose between the textures in runtime. 
Also, transitions between the different levels is needed.  

My estimate is that it would take some 6-8 hours to have it up and running without transitions. If the material only has one texture, the transitioning stuff is easier. I guess a couple of hours getting that done.
The only question that always remains is when it could be done. I can't say anything about that right now. I'd have to get back to you on it. 

Oct 3, 2010 at 7:24 PM
Just a suggestion......  WPF has a "VisualBrush" which can be used to implement interactive controls (including a TextBox) as a texture. It's a really great tool, and can be a lot of fun to work with.

Here is a video capture of one possible type use:
The buttons in the grid are actually the "Button" controls and the left and right viewports are the same scene, one perspective with a interactive camera position the other is a fixed orthographic view.

Anyway, this is an awesome feature of WPF, and if it could be done in Silverlight it would be even better!

Cheers,

Don Casteel 
Coordinator
Oct 4, 2010 at 6:51 AM

donCasteel8587 : Thats a cool feature. Should be fairly simple to achieve, at least if the buttons aren't interactive itself on the Geometry, but shouldn't be too much hassle getting it interactive as well if I can get the mouse events routed into that part of the visual tree.

Coordinator
Oct 4, 2010 at 6:51 AM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Coordinator
Oct 4, 2010 at 6:52 AM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Coordinator
Oct 4, 2010 at 6:53 AM
Oct 5, 2010 at 2:38 PM

Hi I wonder is it possible to do direct 3D model paint yet?

Directly painting on a 3D model with texture. I guess, one has to first capture the

2D coordinate of the texture corresponding to the  3D world space  coordinates 

which the mouse point. Then one has to able to update the pixel of the 2D coordinate of the texture.

Can this be done now? Can you shed some light which functions I shall consider. Thank you.

Coordinator
Oct 7, 2010 at 7:52 PM

It sort of can. In the manipulation events you get the U/V coordinates within the face. If you then create your own map, implementing the IMap interface which uses a byte array that you can modify - you should be able to pull this off. The map would then be used in a material by setting it on the DiffuseMap. 

Its a cool sample that I really want to create for Balder, so I'll be adding a work item for this as well.

Coordinator
Oct 7, 2010 at 7:52 PM