Animation in Balder

Aug 21, 2010 at 11:58 PM
Edited Aug 22, 2010 at 12:53 AM

Anybody can guide me how to make an independent animation in the same object. ASE?
For example: I have a car in 3D  and I would like to animate the wheels while rolling along a highway. How can I make it possible in balder? or the
animations are made before exporting?

Aug 22, 2010 at 2:39 PM

Im not sure about how objects are imported, if the importation respects hierarchy...
If not...u have to export two separate ase objects like the whole car without the wheels then have a separate ase for one wheel...
then load the car ase... load the wheel ase...add them as nodes to the car object in balder...then apply rotations to the wheels nodes only...

Coordinator
Aug 22, 2010 at 8:27 PM

Hi,

the ASE loader does respect all the objects individually and loads the World matrix for each. There is no way for now to get hold of the objects by name, but the Mesh object has a collection called Children. You will find all the objects in there as Geometry, for your wheels you could then just set the Rotation.Y to the desired angle. 

Hope that helps. 

Coordinator
Aug 22, 2010 at 8:29 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Aug 23, 2010 at 6:24 AM

Hi,
thanks for your answers

Sep 9, 2010 at 2:32 AM
Edited Sep 9, 2010 at 2:33 AM

Hi again, I'm really sorry if my questions are somewhat basic but that I'm now starting on this.
Well I got a object 3D animated for 3dmax and then exported it to .ase , but I can not load (Object reference not set to an instance of an object). However, if changed to a simple 3D model works without problem. I'm trying to load the animated 3D model as a simple 3D model.

What am I doing wrong?

Best regards.

Coordinator
Sep 9, 2010 at 6:59 AM

Animation is not supported in the files.

In fact, the only animation you can do for now is using the Storyboards or animating things yourself on a timer or similar.

Sep 10, 2010 at 6:33 AM

This is a bad news for my application :( .  In the future balder is going to have this feature available ?

Coordinator
Sep 10, 2010 at 7:37 AM

Yup.  Its the plan.  I started it a while back, but got sidetracked on other things. 

What kind of animation support are  you looking for? 

Sep 10, 2010 at 7:13 PM

Well, I'm making a small website of augmented reality, with slartoolkit and balder. I want to load 3D objects that previosly have been animated since the 3d max.

Regards.

Coordinator
Sep 13, 2010 at 8:01 AM

I was more thinking about what kind of animation support you would need from 3DSMAX. Are you using bones (skinnable mesh)? Or is it only transformations of objects you use?

What kind of objects are you animating? Is only geometries you animate, or is it light / camera?

Sep 15, 2010 at 9:31 PM

This file is an animated 3d that loads in flarmanager. (it's the .dae file and the texture)

http://rapidshare.com/files/419268794/scout.zip

In flarmanager (it uses Papervision 3d), you just have to load it, the animation is incorporated. I want to do the same in SlarToolkit (it uses BALDER!).

My final objective is to do something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_7NW_u3VFo

PS. sorry for the late

Coordinator
Sep 16, 2010 at 6:47 AM

That looks really cool. I'd love to see Balder do that.. :) 

If you just want to control the wheels - have them rotated, you don't need animation. You can just find the sub-objects and rotate them according to the speed you want. 

In the Mesh when its loaded, you have children. For now there is no way of finding them by names, but you can index into it and find the wheels and then just rotate them.
Everyone of these children will be a Geometry, and as any Node, it has the Rotation property. 

Oct 8, 2010 at 10:24 AM

Hi Ericksson, the scout sample you have provided needs skeletal animation. I am not sure if this is currently supported.

Coordinator
Oct 9, 2010 at 7:33 AM

Skeletal animation is not supported at the moment.