Culling / hiding of backside lines

Aug 18, 2010 at 2:26 PM

First thanks for the great framework :-)

Is it possible to hide lines positioned behind the current front faces of the object ?

Or is there some setting i still haven't found ? 

Case is, when i render a cube with lines and faces with materials and rotate the cube,

shouldn't the "backside" lines hide ?

Thanks in advance

Henrik V

Coordinator
Aug 18, 2010 at 9:08 PM
Edited Aug 18, 2010 at 9:08 PM

Hi and thanks, glad you like it.

the line rendering is very primitive at the moment. I'm working on a Wireframe property for materials, instead of using the lines. 

The way lines are today, there is no way to do any culling at all.

Aug 19, 2010 at 7:40 AM
Thank you for your quick reply. I will look forward to the wireframe property. I have one important question though: Will it be possible to see the wireframe AND the full surface simultaneously, since this is an important and useful feature?
Coordinator
Aug 19, 2010 at 11:11 AM

Sure.

Could make it so you can set both. 

Have two properties, one for Wireframe and one for Solid - both being booleans. I'll see if I can get that done today, in fact. 

Coordinator
Aug 19, 2010 at 12:23 PM
Edited Aug 19, 2010 at 12:24 PM

And there we have it. :) 

It might not be perfect - but its a start. Its been pushed to the repository - no binaries just yet.

There are a few new properties on Material : 

* Solid
* Wireframe
* ConstantColorForWireframe (Indicates wether or not to be lit - if set to true, use DiffuseWireframe to set the color of the Wireframe).

I guess the first thing I need to get fixed for the solution is to have the wires ZBuffered - they are not at the moment, so they overlay the solids if they are in fact behind them. This could be a bit tricky though - if I don't get the calculations 100% accurate, this might not look perfect.  I'll see what I can do when I do another iteration on this feature. 

Btw: You can have a look at the feature at : http://www.ingebrigtsen.info/Balder/SampleBrowser/TestPage.html

Aug 19, 2010 at 1:35 PM
Awesome! This is a vast improvement already :-) I know it will be tricky to make the wireframes and surfaces coexist, or at least it was in OpenGL. Maybe it is possible to tweak with the line thickness. Other than that I don't have any good suggestions, so I hope you figure it out :-) Best regards, HenrikV
Coordinator
Aug 19, 2010 at 1:48 PM

May I ask what project you're working on (send me an email, if you prefer not to discuss it here - einar [at] dolittle [dot] com). I'm Norwegian speaking by the way, by the sound of your name you could be  either Danish or Norwegian - any of the languages will do.. :)