Texture loading on Mac

Jul 15, 2010 at 10:36 PM
Hi, I came across very strange "bug". On Mac OSX, there is problem loading textures with higher resolution than 256x256, it seems like only small part of texture is used with shifted pixel lines. Has Anyone experienced this kind of problem? Do you have any idea where the loading can go wrong? Thank you for any help, it is driving me crazy...
Coordinator
Jul 16, 2010 at 9:03 AM
That's odd. Which browser? I'm developing the engine on a Mac and test in most browsers (Safari, FF, Chrome, Opera) an haven't seen this. Is it possible for you to email me a reproduction VS solution? einar[at]dolittle[dot]com
Coordinator
Jul 16, 2010 at 9:35 AM

Btw: Just dawned on me.  Does your texture have Width and Height being power of 2 (128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048... )

Jul 16, 2010 at 10:23 AM

Yes it is power of 2.

I have made a lot of changes to the texture rendering (multi texturing, alpha etc...), so it can be my fault. Unfortunately I'm not allowed to share the code now, it depends on my boss... :-(. I will send you link to the production version with this problem. Or I can try to make simple teapot project with huge texture, in case I will be stuck even more than now... .

Thanks a lot.

Coordinator
Jul 16, 2010 at 11:09 AM

Ok.

How big is the texture?

Jul 16, 2010 at 11:15 AM
In the demo I send you, there is problem with all textures higher than 256x256 there is one 1024x1024, and other 512x512.
Coordinator
Jul 16, 2010 at 1:55 PM

Btw: I'm in the middle of writing more advanced rendering and have already added some, but want to add multi-texture. What kind of support are you looking for here?

Jul 16, 2010 at 2:26 PM

OT to the advanced rendering: I have added all I needed... (well in very quick and dirty, but fast way), in most advanced case I use difuse texture + alpha map + reflection map for lighting. It is quite interesting, that lighting done by reflection map is faster than gouround shading... . I also implemented AA as discused in other topic. After finishing the project I plan to clean it up and share, I hope I will be allowed to.

To the topic: I found out that texture is loaded to the memory corectly, but something goes wrong with mapping. It is realy strange, code for rendering seems so not platform specific... . I tried to revert changes in rendering and it is still there. I will probably do that teapot thing....

Jul 16, 2010 at 3:38 PM
Edited Jul 17, 2010 at 12:43 PM
I finaly found simple way to reproduce the problem. Try changing target Silverlight version to 4 for Sample browser project, rebuild, and open Programatic -> Material. I don't know if it is silverlight problem, I gess new version is not so stable on mac? I will switch to version 3 probably, I use v4 only because of better mouse right button handling.