ContentManager.Load<Mesh> null reference

Jun 22, 2010 at 10:33 AM

I migrated my test GettingStarted app over to use the new references as per the SampleBrowser (for Materials support etc).

I am now getting a null reference exception when I load my own ase file (audi.ase still works fine).  I have set the ase as a resource.

If I try to load the ase in the Sample browser I get the same problem, however the crash points towards the GeometryScopeHandler.

Further debugging shows that the initialisation 'var geometry = scopeObject as Geometry' actually returns null,

which in turn crashes when is set.

Do you have any clues as to what I am doing wrong please?

Kind Regards,

Jun 22, 2010 at 1:03 PM

could you email me your solution, so I can debug whats going on ( einar [at] dolittle [dot] com)

Jun 22, 2010 at 1:15 PM
Edited Jun 22, 2010 at 1:46 PM

I have sent it (5mb zip with the dlls for reference checking)

Jun 22, 2010 at 2:57 PM

Figured out the problem. 

You had Camera and Lights in the ASE file - which is a bug in Balder that makes it crash apparently. I've registered an issue for you :

Jun 22, 2010 at 2:59 PM

Great, thanks for the quick response as always.

Jun 22, 2010 at 3:04 PM

:) Glad I could help. 

Jul 23, 2010 at 4:49 PM
Edited Jul 23, 2010 at 4:50 PM

I have came across the same problem, too. How should do it?

Jul 23, 2010 at 6:44 PM

If its the same problem as chris001 - you can edit the ASE file by hand and remove sections with lights and cameras in it. Or, when you export from your 3D modelling software, leave the exporting of lights and camera off. 

The bug has not been fixed, as there are a couple of other things being done with the project before that, sorry.

Jul 24, 2010 at 4:56 AM
Edited Jul 24, 2010 at 6:17 AM

Would this be a good investment for a 3D Option?

**Consider it forgotten**

How can we help you make Balder better?

Jul 24, 2010 at 6:05 AM

They sure have done a great job. It makes me work twice as hard. :)

Balder is close to getting the same feature set, and performance as well. Plus Balder has the goal of getting to more devices as well, such as Windows Phone 7, iPhone/iPad, Desktop and Android when MonoDroid gets available. The Windows Phone 7 work on Balder is well underway. 

Of course, being a developer on Balder, I would really love if people stick to Balder. So anything I can do to make you forget you ever saw that URL, please let me know.. :) 

In the latest source, Balder has support for shaded textures - and I'm working on bilinear filtering, mip mapping, multitexturing and bump mapping. 

Jul 24, 2010 at 6:24 AM

I want to do my part as a developer, but I am having a hard time using the code. Must be my own errors. I am really good at Designing things. I can provide tons of 3D objects and or great interactive PDFs to get people comfortable with Balder if pointed in the right direction. Could you perhaps shoot a video on how to use Balder correctly? It would get the project great visibility and give developers more confidence. I would to show it at my next presentation at work and we could upload it to some social sites.

Jul 24, 2010 at 7:17 AM

That would be awesome ! ! 

I'll try to create a screencast this weekend of how to use it. 

Maybe we could continue our discussion by mail - einar [at] dolittle [dot] com