Artifacts when importing models from 3DS MAX

May 25, 2010 at 5:11 PM

First of all, the work you've done here is great, good to see 3D developing well on Silverlight!

I've had some trouble with models that I've exported to .ASE from 3DS MAX. The models look fine in 3DS MAX, but when I import them into Baldur, they appear to have triangles popping out everywhere.

I've included an example here:

Is there a different product that I should be using for modeling that you find better? Or something that I can do to prevent this from happening when exporting?

Thomas Woo

May 26, 2010 at 5:17 AM

Is it the binary release you are using or from the source code?

The reason I ask, is that in the source code, the ASE loader has been rewritten and quite a few bugs the old one had is now gone. 
If you're using the new one, would it be possible for you to email me the MAX file and the ASE file ?  (einar _at_ dolittle _dot_ com)

May 27, 2010 at 5:34 PM
Ahh, I pulled the latest source code and it seems to work! Thanks for the assistance. Is there support for basic blinn materials now as well? Thanks, Thomas Woo
May 27, 2010 at 8:22 PM

Good to hear that it worked in the latest codebase. 

I have not added Blinn yet. I've been toying around with the idea for a while about providing a shader like way of writing your own shaders in C# and had a similar request today as well. That way one could easily create the material types one needs. 

May 28, 2010 at 1:40 PM
That would be great =) I hope you get a chance to implement those features!