Registering the custom AssetLoader

Apr 26, 2010 at 2:42 PM

Hi there,

Im impressed the 3D engine. I am currently comparing Balder to Kit3d, and I am having issues with trying to register my custom AssetLoader which I have created to read in .obj files.

Is there a way to register/use my class?

Thanks!

Coordinator
Apr 26, 2010 at 11:29 PM

Thanks.

In the latest source code for Balder, you don't need to register anything, you just need to include the assembly that holds the AssetLoader in your Silverlight project - so that Balder can find it.

Let me know if you're having trouble with it.

Apr 27, 2010 at 8:43 AM

Oh, as easy as that :)

Are you guys using reflection to detect the assmebly?

If so, are you not worried about the performance impact on the load?

What may be a nice idea is that the ContentHandler takes in a Action/Func which a person could load the object... That way, the perfomace would improve quite a bit..What do you think?

Thanks

Coordinator
Apr 27, 2010 at 9:52 AM

The reflection is only done once at startup and has very little impact. The system collects all AssetLoaders and puts them in a Dictionary based upon the fileextension(s) the AssetLoader supports.

Apr 27, 2010 at 10:08 AM

Ok cool!

Im still having trouble though! I create the class in a differnt silver light class library and added the reference to that dll. Its not being picked up though.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Coordinator
Apr 27, 2010 at 10:57 AM

Are you using the latest source code from Balder? Or are you using the 0.8.8.6 release?   The 0.8.8.6 release does not have this behavior as I did it only 3-4 days ago.

If you're using the latest source code, I'd love to see whats going on - so if its possible for you to email me your solution to : einar _at_ dolittle _dot_ com , I'll see what I can as soon as possible.

Apr 28, 2010 at 7:09 AM

Yip, Im using the 0.8.8.6 release. will mail the source to you now!

Thanks

Coordinator
Apr 28, 2010 at 10:37 AM

Then you won't get this to work - I recommend you download the latest Balder source and build it and use that instead.

Apr 28, 2010 at 2:32 PM

Ok cool, Im using Tortise SVN to try download the code...is that ok?

Im also trying to get it from this link:

https://balder.svn.codeplex.com/svn

Is that right? I got an error when trying to use this link.

Coordinator
Apr 28, 2010 at 2:53 PM

You need Mercurial, so something like TortoiseHG will work, and the URL is : 

https://hg01.codeplex.com/balder

Apr 29, 2010 at 8:04 AM

OK, I finally go the code and compiled it!

I placed the newly created dlls into my project, replacing the old ones, but now, my entry point is no longer firing the OnInitialize and OnLoadContent() methods any more, and if I do them manually, the ContentManager is null... Ill play around with it and is if it is me being silly or not.

Thanks for the help!

Coordinator
Apr 29, 2010 at 11:20 AM

Is this the same source as you emailed me? If not, could you update me with your latest code so I can debug and see whats going on.