XP problem

Jul 10, 2007 at 6:31 PM
Hi,

We have problem running your software on XP, but it runs fine in Vista.

We are running July 7 distribution. We had problem run the software under XP SP2 + Orca, but it went pretty smooth under Vista. I have the binary published at http://www.ta-redux.com/balder_demo/testpage.html It works fine with VIsta PC, but the 3D meshes froze at XP.

Is it a deployment problem?

Regards,
Reggie
Jul 11, 2007 at 7:58 PM
Hi,

I've tried your earlier 5683 build, it runs fine with XP and Vista. Have your viewed the demo in XP recently with the new build?

Regards,
Reggie
Jul 19, 2007 at 12:34 PM
Hi

I also have exactly the same problem with the latest build on Win XP.
I have tested version 6238 and it works fine. Will keep incrementing up tomorrow.

Cheers
Mark
Jul 19, 2007 at 3:23 PM
This seems to be fairly consitent. I am having the same problem on all of my XP machines. I don't have Vista to check that out. I have noticed that it may run for a little bit on my faster machines before it stops. I'm thinking that it may be generating an exception that is not being caught properly.
Jul 20, 2007 at 5:51 PM
Hey all, I think I've tracked this one down.

Between Changeset 7527 and 7806 the Page added the FPS Statistic. I wrapped the call to set the text, which includes a division, in a try.. catch() and the problem seems to be resolved.

void Statistics_Update( object sender, EventArgs e )
{
try
{
this.statisticsTextBlock.Text = "Vertices : " + Statistics.VertexCount + "\n" +
"Faces : " + Statistics.FaceCount + "\n" +
"FrameTime : " + Statistics.FrameTime.ToString() + "\n\n" +
"FPS : " + ( Statistics.FrameTime.Seconds < 1 ? 1000 / Statistics.FrameTime.Milliseconds : 0 ).ToString();
}
catch ( Exception )
{
}
}
Jul 22, 2007 at 11:30 AM
Good work.
The problem is a divide by zero that is occuring in the line:
"FPS : " + ( Statistics.FrameTime.Seconds < 1 ? 1000 / Statistics.FrameTime.Milliseconds : 0 ).ToString();
I am finding that the Statistics.FrameTime.Milliseconds value is switching between 15 (to give 66fps) and 0 (to cause error). FrameTime is of Timespan type so I'm not sure if this is some kind of error or just something that needs to be properly handled.
Coordinator
Jul 23, 2007 at 3:01 PM
The resolution of timespan is not great so it will in some conditions give the result of 0 which then causes a divide by zero.
I will move the code for handling the FPS calculations into the statistics class and clean it up and also fix the problem at the same time.