Drawing and Camera distance

Dec 18, 2009 at 3:12 AM

I need to know how the objects are placed (Drawn) in Balder Viewport. I mean in 3D MAX the BOX is placed according to the Pivot Point in the center.In Blender Im not sure but I think it is not the same as in 3D MAX. In brief are they drawn starting from the center of a Box or from its edge? To which direction they are drawn by default? and what units are used?(for example 1000 width Box in 3D MAX what it would be?pixels or other units?)

About the camera  I used a 1000x1000x20 (XxYxZ) Box  but when running the application the width seems less than what I expected.Another thing to mention even the Camera can see the Box clearly when it is

in z=-3950 it doesn't see the Box in z=-4000.Does the Camera looks (by changing its angle) to its target automaticaly?What is the Camera.Target.Length and LengthSquared?

Is there any support files (Help Docs) you have for Balder coding(classes and properties like MSDN help pages)?

Thank you for your cooperation all the time...

Coordinator
Dec 18, 2009 at 8:07 AM

Hi,

there is no support for pivot point at this point, it is on the task list, though. So for now the position is the center of the object.

In the 0.8.8.0 version, the Camera.Target is a Vector, same goes for Position. The Vector class has a bunch of features that are helpful when working with coordinates in 3D space. 
For the next release it is no longer a Vector, but a Coordinate - this was changed because of a big change in the system for supporting Silverlight Control scenario. But the coordinate type has a set of implicit conversions back and forth to Vector.

As for units - the units is not related to pixels in any ways, in fact you sort of define what a unit is and what meaning it has.
Many people define the units according to their realworld metrics - so 1.0 = 1 meter or 1 yard, or 1 foot - depending on what you are used to.

The Camera has a Position where the camera is located in the world, the Target is where the camera is looking at - the coordinate in 3D space.

We don't have any MSDN style documentation yet. This is something I'm hoping to focus more on when we reach the beta stage. 

Dec 21, 2009 at 7:25 PM

I understood That the position of the box will be the center of it.I made some simple tests for my large
box but the result were strange.What Im trying to do is export a 1000(Width)x1000(Lenght)x20(Height) Box in 3DMAX to Balder
Viewport.Then use the camera to see a small box I put above my large box(I put my large box as a floor).
However the result differs according to the position of the large box as following:

1-When I put the large box in X=0,Y=0,Z=0.and put the camera at x=0,y=28,z=-200 and I give the Camera target
the x,y,z of the small Box.The Result:I see the small box and the large box.But the camera shows the rest
of the large box verticaly which should not appear at all.I mean I expected to see the box as a thin line
but I see the thin line and the rest of the box as big square above the thin line.So it seems like a bug
in balder.Of course such test takes seconds so you could try it and tell me how the large box appears
for you.May be in this case I should make the Viewport size bigger but I didn't try it in this test.

I wanted to send you a screen shot of what I see but I couldn't attach an image to this post.

2- I thought may because half of the box exist in the negative part of X and Z in the first test
so I put the large box in X=1000,Y=0,Z=1000 and put the camera at x=1000,y=28,z=0.But the camera
shows nothing at all.I tried puting the camera at Y=0 but I got the same result.
I thought may be the Viewport is not big enough(Width =1366,Height =768;) so I made its Width
and height equal to 4000.But the camera show me nothing too.

Another thing to mention both boxs have textures.

If you can try it and tell me what you see so I make sure that Im not doing any thing wrong it will be
very helpfull for me...

Coordinator
Dec 22, 2009 at 6:08 AM

Hi,

could you email me your solution so I can have a look at it?

My email is einar _at_ dolittle _dot_ com

Cheers,

Einar

Dec 22, 2009 at 8:43 PM

Sorry for being late..I just go through few errors.I made a more clear version of the solution where the problem appear very clearly.

I sent the solution to your email.

Thank you very much for your cooperation all the time.

Coordinator
Feb 5, 2010 at 1:31 PM

Pivot support is now implemented and will be in the next release.

Feb 17, 2010 at 9:51 AM
Edited Feb 17, 2010 at 9:53 AM

After I checked your new samples (The Samples Browser):

You made a very great work in a short time especially in rendering and dealing with materials.

Of course the Pivot Point will make animations easier and more precise thank you very much.

About the sample I was trying to make I think it is similar to what you made in the Camera View samples and I observed the camera is moving too fast.

Does it has the same problem :"accuracy problem with the Z buffer" or it doesn't have it at all?

Coordinator
Feb 18, 2010 at 4:28 PM

Hi,

I found a bug with the Pivot Point yesterday - it didn't work on Meshes, only the primitives (Box, Cylinder... ) - I will look into that as soon as possible. 

As for the camera moving too fast, could please elaborate a bit on that? 

The Z buffering problem is that it is not calculated with perspective correction yet, this is something I'm looking into. The main problem with it is that it is costly, CPU wise, trying to come up with an optimal way of doing it.

Feb 18, 2010 at 6:23 PM

Thank you for your respond.About the bug I hope to you all success.

When I said the camera moving too fast I meant the sample about Following Objects when you move the camera from looking to a box to another box.I'm not sure may be it is what I feel alone and others see it ok.But as I remember when I click the buttons to move from looking to a box to another one some times it doesn't show the other box as expected I mean the camera become too close to the box.I will try it again later to make sure if this problem exist or it just happened temporarily. 

Coordinator
Feb 22, 2010 at 7:29 AM

Thanks.

There might be some calculation errors there, I will be investigating it myself as well.