Material with Texture doesn't consider lighting?

Dec 6, 2009 at 1:13 PM
Edited Dec 6, 2009 at 1:14 PM

I am trying to attach a texture to an object and having lighting on it, but seems material with texture doesn't consider lighting, is this feature ready for use?

Coordinator
Dec 6, 2009 at 4:13 PM

Shading on texturemapping has not been implemented yet. Its in the pipeline, though: 

http://github.com/einari/Balder/issues#issue/19

Can't guarantee when it will be implemented.

Apr 23, 2010 at 2:41 PM

I must say that I have been very impressed with what I have seen of this engine so far, and the only thing stopping me from using it in a professional environment is this lack of texture shading. I'm sure you're very busy, but it would be fantastic if you could estimate a date when this would be implemented by.

Thanks, and keep up the awesome work!

Coordinator
Apr 24, 2010 at 5:20 AM

Thanks.

I've started implementing shaded textures with support for both flat shaded and gouraud shaded. Its hard to commit to a date, but I guess sometime during may would be realistic to estimate.

Apr 24, 2010 at 5:28 AM

Gald to hear that. One more question, do we have transparency object in balder ?

Coordinator
Apr 24, 2010 at 6:33 AM

The transparency will be done in the same go. I've started both tasks.

Oct 1, 2010 at 11:51 AM

Hi adept, is this feature implemented yet? If not, when we'd expect this? It seems to be pretty old issue :)

[ Cause, when I redefine shading of (textured) material, it redefines the whole material and removes the texture from object. What I'm doing wrong, please? ]

Thanks.

box = renderContext.ContentManager.Load<Mesh>("ES_45.ASE");
                box.Material = new Balder.Materials.Material();
                box.Material.Shade = Balder.Materials.MaterialShade.Gouraud;

Coordinator
Oct 1, 2010 at 1:09 PM

Hi,

are you using the latest binary release (0.8.8.8) or have you downloaded the source and compiled it? The 0.8.8.8 version does not take this into account, but the latest source does. Lighting has improved a lot with the latest source.

I have been supposed to drop a binary for a while now, but haven't had the time. Work is getting in the way.. :)

Oct 1, 2010 at 1:16 PM

Oh, I'm using binaries of 0.8.8.8. Oki, i will try the source code. Thank you very much for quick response ;)

Coordinator
Oct 1, 2010 at 7:56 PM

Sure, no problem. 

You can build either through Visual Studio or the build script in the root of the project by typing "build All" from a command line.