3D Landscapes with Balder

Oct 29, 2009 at 7:58 AM

Hi there. I was wondering if it's possible to use Balder to create a 3D landscape by loading a HeightMap image.png?  

Coordinator
Oct 29, 2009 at 8:51 AM

Hi,

there is no predefined landscape object yet, but it has been something we have been wanting to do. Not sure if it will make it into version 1 yet.

It is possible to create it by yourself, I will be creating a tutorial soon on how you can create your own Geometries programatically, and also in realtime.

Oct 29, 2009 at 8:13 PM

That's great. I will be looking forward to get my hands on that new tutorial.

Feb 16, 2010 at 3:21 PM
Edited Feb 16, 2010 at 3:23 PM

Hi, im looking forward for the dynamically-created geometry too

(I`m making a city simulation game with Balder, and will generate buildings dynamically due to sheer size of city)

Also, i`m wondering if it`s possible to do:

a) impostor rendering

b) connect Balder an ASP.NET serverside (that would generate impostors of faraway objects and bring them to the client as textures)

I can, in principle, contribute to the project too :)

Also, it`s a bit hard to build the sources (0.8.8.6) now due to the sheer number of (seemingly unneeded, except NInject) referenced assemblies which i have no idea where to get :)
I can of course decompile Balder`s assemblies but that seems wrong to me:)

Coordinator
Feb 16, 2010 at 8:11 PM

Hi,

sorry about the compilation problem. I've been meaning to update the source and get all the dependencies correct. If you go and select the Source Code download (the big icon) on the frontpage, a larger download, you should get everything - and just open the Balder_Silverlight solution in the Source\Solutions folder.

Could you explain what you mean by impostor ?  Do you want to pre-render stuff and put it as sprites in the scene?

In the 0.8.8.6 version there is the Heightmap object, not ideal for landscapes - but at least its on its way. I will be focusing in on making it easier to set up geometries, just haven't had the time to get to it yet.

As for contributing, that would be great. I want to create a guide for how to contribute. But for now, it is possible to just fork from GitHub and work on your own repository and commit back and put in the fork queue. I will then take a look at the fork queue and put it in the Contribution branch and then include it in the Development branch after successful merging. 

Feb 16, 2010 at 8:40 PM

>> Could you explain what you mean by impostor ? Do you want to pre-render stuff and put it as sprites in the scene?

In short, yes. But there are plenty of tweaks to this technique, too :)

I`m thinking of parallax-mapped sprites (with zbuffer), so they could be used on short range distances, too, and about adding deferred (because fillrate is precious in software) shading on top of all this thing :)

>> Balder_Silverlight

Aha! I tried to open SampleBrowser (to tinker and see what happens). Thanks, then.

>> it is possible to just fork from GitHub and work on your own repository and commit back and put in the fork queue.

I`ll try, though there are 2 problems

1 - i`m not so proficient with DVCS (Git, darcs, hg), having worked last years exclusively with centralised (vs, tfs, perforce)

2 - there are also chances i won`t be satisfied with overall architecture and start tossing things around, which will cause changesets that barely could be merged back :) anyway, time will show what happens.

Coordinator
Feb 18, 2010 at 5:27 PM

I've been thinking about impostoring (now I have a word for it, thanks. :) ). I'll put it up on the taskboard and see if it will be prioritized soon. I've been looking at doing it dynamically when you move around in a 3D scene.

Love your input on architecture - I really want to increase the code quality, there is a bunch of debt in Balder that I'm trying to work out and get unit tested and increase separation.