3d rotation around x axis

Oct 21, 2009 at 9:32 PM

Have I got my maths wrong? The following code causes rotation around the x-axis, but flips 180 degrees around the x axis at some point instead of completing a whole 360 degrees.

_light.Position.Y = Camera.Position.Y = (float)Math.Sin(_cameraAngleRadians) * 50f;

_light.Position.Z = Camera.Position.Z = (float)Math.Cos(_cameraAngleRadians) * 50f;

Oct 21, 2009 at 9:35 PM

Correction:

Have I got my maths wrong? The following code causes rotation around the x-axis, but flips 180 degrees around the y axis at some point instead of completing a whole 360 degrees around x.

_light.Position.Y = Camera.Position.Y = (float)Math.Sin(_cameraAngleRadians) * 50f;

_light.Position.Z = Camera.Position.Z = (float)Math.Cos(_cameraAngleRadians) * 50f;

Coordinator
Oct 22, 2009 at 6:05 AM
I lack the mathematical explanation, but I'll try to explain what is happening.
When you rotate around the Y axis like you do, when the position and lookat are close to aligned and that is the same as what is defined as UP, the calculations will result in what can be seen as a flip on the X. What it is actually doing is trying to maintain UP and the camera rotates to achieve this. If change the radians slowly, you should see the effect better. 
Oct 22, 2009 at 7:59 AM

Hi, it doesn’t happen when I rotate around the X axis. Is there a solution to it?

Kind Regards

Mark

Coordinator
Oct 22, 2009 at 9:03 AM
Edited Oct 22, 2009 at 9:04 AM

It doesn't happen because UP is never aligned and represents the same direction as the cameras direction.

You might be able to avoid it by calculating the UP vector I guess every frame. Something like this (not tested) : 

var up = Vector.Normalize(Camera.Target - Camera.Position);
Camera.Up = up; 

Only problem is that at this point you can't set the Up vector directly on the Camera. It is calculated from the Roll. I can put an item in the backlog for enabling the change of the UP vector.