Expand texture mapping plz

Aug 14, 2009 at 10:03 AM

I tried an ASE model where you have a part of the bitmap for each side of the model (dunno how to call this). It kinda folds around the object. This is not supported yet (right?).

Heres is the model I tried: http://www.katsbits.com/htm/models/kt_ww2-tanks-vehicles.htm

I chose the Churchill tank (and converted the tga bitmaps). It renders but is messed up.

Would be great to have, so one could render more realistic objects.

If i did something wrong plz point it out.

Thanks

Coordinator
Aug 14, 2009 at 4:37 PM

Hi,

thanks for the feedback.

Balder supports what you need internally, but the ASE file format loader is far from complete and does not support it. The Demoniak 3D XML format that we've added support for has better support and supports multiple objects as well as multiple textures. Only problem with that format is a limitation when it comes to texture mapping coordinates. Balder, like most 3D modelling software has texturemapping coordinates separated from each vertex - there is no connection between a vertex and a texturemapping coordinate. This is something the Demoniac format does not support, so in some cases texturemapping might look weird.

We are working hard these days to get to a beta version of Balder (version 0.9) - in this version the ASE file format support will be better - hopefully pretty feature complete as to what ASE supports.

Best regards,

Einar (aka. adept)
Silverlight MVP
http://www.ingebrigtsen.info

Sep 15, 2010 at 11:14 AM

Hi,

I happen to be using the same model and had the problem with tga bitmaps.  What did you convert them to? does balder only support jpg for textures?

Thanks,

Norbert

Sep 15, 2010 at 12:34 PM

I converted them to png. Balder currently only supports the image formats native to Silverlight (JPG & PNG). Because these are built-in Silverlight decoders no further decoder libs are needed (keeps the binary smaller).

Does the model render correctly with the latest ASE-loader/parser? I had some spikes/face where they shouldn't be with the old loader. Also the old loader didn't support submaterials (more than 1 image/texture).

Coordinator
Sep 15, 2010 at 4:20 PM

As KD1974 said, Balder only supports JPEG and PNG, but if you need to support others you can create your own AssetLoader - just have a look at the ImageAssetLoader how its done.