To Pause or not To Pause

Aug 17, 2011 at 7:07 PM

I have a basically static scene except when I occasionally change a texture or when the user drags an object.  My CPU usage is pretty high on older hardware and I was experimenting with Pause.  I added a call to basically render a single frame instead of using the timer and now and it cuts the usage down to Zero which is a nice improvement.

My problem is that my scene is on a navigation page and when you close that page and come back to it, Pause now draws nothing (much like it does in the SampleBrowser).  When you unpause it renders normally and then Pause again and nothing.  I'm looking for help to see why it draws nothing.

Aug 18, 2011 at 3:57 PM

I got a newer build and pause seems to work better now.  But I'm still trying to get it to pause immediately after the initial draw and no luck so far.

Aug 19, 2011 at 3:10 PM

Did you try the passive rendering?  That will make it render only when things changes.. 

Aug 23, 2011 at 5:29 PM

I had not tried Passive Rendering.  I thought the example showed the image as a Wireframe and I incorrectly thought that was all it did.  But now that I've tried it it seems to work pretty well.  Thanks for thinking ahead for my potential needs!

Aug 23, 2011 at 6:14 PM

Sure, no problem.

Passive rendering has an option for how it will render things when there are changes. So if you have really complex scenes, you can make it render only wireframe in the "in-between" frames and when changes to anything are done it will full render everything.

The wireframes are for now only limited to bounding boxes, but this is something that will be added at a later stage with support for actual wireframes as well.