Silverlight 5 support

Coordinator
Apr 13, 2011 at 6:51 PM
Edited Apr 13, 2011 at 6:52 PM

Balder now has hardware support for rendering for Silverlight 5 beta, more info can be found here.

The release can be found here.

The source code will be released later today/tonight.

Coordinator
Apr 13, 2011 at 7:20 PM

Btw: 

If you feel that I have neglected answering questions - the reason is basically Silverlight 5.. :)  I'll start supporting everything a lot more now that its all out. 

Apr 15, 2011 at 1:55 PM
Edited Apr 15, 2011 at 1:56 PM

we knew  ;)   or hoped anyway...   But even with the overhead of working on SL5 you've been pretty responsive :)   I can't wait to try out the SL5 parts! (I'm seriously thinking of taking a few vacation days to play with it)

Apr 15, 2011 at 6:31 PM

Balder on SL5 rocks!!

A couple of miscellaneous SL5 questions -

- is there anything that Balder does for Mouse input events that could use a lot of CPU? If you notice in my demo here - http://www.andybeaulieu.com/silverlight/5.0/baldertest1/spritehand.physics3dtestpage.html - if you rapidly move the mouse around the drawing surface, everything slows way down. Not sure if this is a problem with Balder or with SL5 drawing surface?

- Wondering if DrawingSurface in Balder should be exposed as Public, there might be instances where we need to get at it. For now, I just did a search through the Game's Children until I found it, that works too.

Thanks!
-Andy

Coordinator
Apr 19, 2011 at 7:39 AM

Thanks Andy, 

I haven't looked at CPU usage and the mouse events, let med investigate a bit and see if that is a Balder problem or something that was introduced in SL5. 

Coordinator
Apr 19, 2011 at 7:40 AM

Btw: I could expose the DrawingSurface, but it would be exposed as either a FrameworkElement or an object for backwards compatibility, is that OK for you? 

Apr 19, 2011 at 12:27 PM

Thanks for looking at the Mouse Events, let me know if you find anything interesting.

For the DrawingSurface, maybe it's not even necessary to expose - because we can get at it by traversing the Children. So probably not a big deal.

Coordinator
Apr 19, 2011 at 10:05 PM

I see the perf problem with mouse events, and it only happens with MouseMove - so this could very well be a Balder issue, not sure yet. Need to get the profiler hooked up be 100% sure. One optimization I can see right off the bat is to ignore checking for mouse intersection with objects that does not have any events hooked up with it, but that would only hide the perf problem - so more of a quick win. :)

I'll be digging.

Apr 20, 2011 at 12:31 AM

Thanks for looking into this. I am hoping to hook up navigation through a world with the mouse.

Apr 20, 2011 at 2:57 AM

Andy,

I'm a fan, I'm glad to see you working with Balder!  Good things will come of great minds like yours and Adepts working on this project! 

Perhaps you've seen this, if not it might help with that mouse navigation.  This is a minecraft like clone I'm working on in SL.  I haven't yet fully put in the SL five bits, and in fact the demo below is very old, even using a version of Balder with a clipping bug.  But the navigation part is in place.  Feel free to take a look and see if this will help get you in the right direction.

You can move around with the WSAD keys. To ‘look’ around you need to right click on the game window and move the mouse. It can take a bit of practice. Once you get the hang of it, it feels like any old FPS game. The mouse wheel can put you into third person, but it’s a bit buggy at the moment. The world is limitless; when you get to the edge of a ‘chunk’ it will generate more for you. This can take some time and you’ll notice a slight pause when this happens. This isn’t because of Balder. Also, page up and page down allow you to fly around.  This demo has the dig stuff removed.  At the time it was put together I was helping to solve a clipping bug, which Adept solved VERY well.  I tried to remove all the clutter that was getting in the way of just that problem.  Hope it helps!

Demo:
http://www.zerfservices.com/BeforeClippingChange/Test.html

Source:
http://www.zerfservices.com/Code/BalderDemo.zip

Apr 20, 2011 at 3:01 AM

One of the things you’ll notice pretty quickly is that when the mouse cursor (even though hidden) leaves the game view, you can no longer turn, until the mouse is put back into the game window. I am capturing the mouse, but it seems I’ve either done that incorrectly, or there is a slight bug in SL. I didn’t have the trouble with the left mouse button, at least until the mouse left the plugin bounds.

Apr 20, 2011 at 3:32 AM

Thanks for sharing that demo, it's great and you'll find that with the SL5 build of Balder, the performance will be much, much better. Thanks for the kind words too. I am not a 3D guru by far but am trying to learn.

It's funny you mentioned the mouse problems, I have run into a similar challenge when trying to add mouse control of the camera. When its all sorted out I'll include it in the 3d physics demo.