Can Balder + Silverlight handle a game like MineCraft?

Mar 10, 2011 at 4:45 PM

I am working on a MineCraft like game right now and wanted to know if Silverlight and Balder can handle rendering a game like that where 1000's of polygons are on screen at a decent framerate.  My initial tests of rendering a landscape of 1000 cubes and checking fps while moving the camera around were pretty dismal, but maybe I am doing something wrong.

Has anyone had success with a game that has several thousand polygons going at once with this library in Silverlight?

Thanks!

Mar 10, 2011 at 5:58 PM
Edited Mar 10, 2011 at 6:01 PM

Yeah Balder can do it.

The current version of Balder has a few issues with clipping that is hurting performance, but some earler versions work great!  We should compare notes, my project is very similar.

http://www.zerfservices.com/BeforeClippingChange/Test.html

Mar 10, 2011 at 8:59 PM

I guessed the 'after' URL :-)

I looked at your before and after and the performance difference is incredible.  What version were using in the before?

Mar 10, 2011 at 9:35 PM

Anything before 4a3f48101a60 (Feb 20 at 6:04 AM ). You’ll notice that in the ‘fast’ version there is a clipping bug that the ‘slow’ version
doesn’t have. Adept, the creator of Balder, is working on fixing that clipping issue, but so far the fix has meant a loss in performance.
Balder has come a long way and I believe this is only a small bump in the road.

I’m not surprised another person is working on a Minecraft clone using Silverlight + Balder. It’s been an amazing project for me, and
I’ve learned a lot. It’s a lot of fun too.

I would be interested in hearing of your progress and ideas around your version and would be willing to share mine as well. I’m not sure this the proper place for our own personal discussions however. If you want to strike up a chat, email me at   xersoft [at] gmail

Coordinator
Mar 15, 2011 at 5:58 PM

And now with the latest source - you should be set to go for creating such a game.