File Formats and complexity

Feb 28, 2011 at 11:56 PM

This is more of a question than a discussion. What 3D file formats are supported by Balder. And what is the likely result of animating a 3D model with 16,000 faces. How slow will it get, and will quality suffer?

Mar 1, 2011 at 1:52 AM

Hi Annwvyn,

Balder currently supports:

• ASE file - supports 90% of the Autodesk Ascii Scene Export format for 3D objects
  • Experimental support for Demoniak3D format

(That's from the features page here:

As for the animation support, that depends on what you mean.  There isn't currently support for bones inside your mesh or that sort of animation.  But you can certianly animate a mesh based on it's location, scale, or rotation using standard SL animations.  A model with 16,000 faces is doable! But, your milage maybe different depending on the optins you set, how many sub meshes are inside the model, how many of those 16,000 faces are on the screen at any given time, and what lighting type you use. Remember, Balder uses 100% software rendering running on the CPU, no GPU yet. (SL5 I hope!)

• Coordinator
    Mar 5, 2011 at 6:00 AM

Just got back from the MVP Summit and have started on the support for SL5 Hardware rendering - it will be available as soon as SL5 hits public beta

Mar 5, 2011 at 6:00 PM

Great news and congratulations on getting in on the info pre beta! Good move on Microsoft’s part as I’m sure Balder will become even more important and drive even more people to Silverlight once the hardware support is in place. At least I hope!

Mar 6, 2011 at 7:02 AM

Thanks.  HW acceleration will drive SL forward for sure. I'll do my part to make sure Balder is in the game. :)