Including a user control in a geometry box ?

Jan 25, 2011 at 8:30 PM

First of all thanks for this project. 

I'm currently developing a free board game as a student for an university project. And I'm considering using this amazing 3D engine for Silverlight so as to give real 3D to the users.

I have a table which is a user control. On this table I have a board (user control too) and a cardstack (in .ase). Then a camera is linked to the table so the camera moves arround the whole game.
I'm currently trying to create my table with balder. But unfortunately I can't find a way to add my board (a user control with a picture with pieces (cylinder) on it) on the table.

I did some tries but as you already guessed, I'm stuck on it for one week now ;)

I tried to add directly my <CustomizeControl:BoardControl /> in the  <Execution:Game x:Name="_game" Width="643" Height="493">. I can apply a texture on the table but nothing more.

Here is a link with a picture for the example :
http://uppix.net/6/b/7/f3f5afd34526b9f50b91dbf8f13b9.png

I might have not understand the way this 3D engine works. Do you think it is possible with Balder? Or shall I try to render the camera using the 2.5D of Silverlight and then rendering only the cardstack and pieces with balder ?

Thanks in advance

Kahn

Coordinator
Jan 29, 2011 at 10:43 AM

Hi and thanks,

not quite sure I'm following - but if I understand correctly you have a UserControl, which is not a Balder object but something completely different and you're trying to use that within a Balder Game?

That I'm afraid is not possible, but from the looks of the picture you have, the board could be a Balder object - a plane with a texture. Or am I missing something here?

Jan 30, 2011 at 1:23 AM

Hi adept, thanks for the reply.

Actually you are right I didn't understand that a UserControl can't be inserted in a Balder object. I now understand the issue better.

Yes I could use it as a plane, unfortunately I have to add pieces on it which have special behaviours. For example I would need containers at a specific location on the map which could either get a piece on it, be highlighted, be clicked or disable the click on it. From the balder demo, it seems it could be possible your way.

I will try to inquire this way.

Thanks again for the hint and for this project

Coordinator
Jan 31, 2011 at 7:17 PM

Sure, no problem. Glad I could be of some assistance.