Large mesh Performance lost after latest build -29350f43a0b7

Oct 26, 2010 at 12:51 AM

Thanks for taking a look at the clipping.  I'm unable to test because something happen between the version I was using and this latest build.  The work I was doing with balder was getting 12-15 fps per the Silverlight FPS counter.  Now I'm at .45!  Did something change that requires me to adjust my code? Or did this clipping work change how many triangles blader can push out?  Thanks!

Oct 26, 2010 at 12:55 AM
Edited Oct 26, 2010 at 1:49 AM

I noticed that if I load a few meshes they seem to be fine until they go off sreen to the left or right. Once too many meshes are out of the view the performance drops a lot. If I move back so that they are all viewable again performance picks right back up.  Is there a huge performance hit for meshes that are not in view of the camera?  Far clipped meshes do not seem to suffer from this, only meshes clipped from the side.

My new thought was that perhaps meshes behind the camera are slowing it down? (near clipped)

I found that if I use 1936 meshes, each with two faces forming a quad (big flat plane) performance is awesome.
If I use a SINGLE mesh (same plane size) but have 344 quads (688 faces) performance drops very fast if some of those faces get behind the camera.
Should I be useing more smaller meshes?  I thought that fewer meshes would be better so my vertext buffers are fewer and fuller. Or perhaps Meshes should not cover a large surface area so entire meshes are on-screen OR off-screen at the same time.

Oct 26, 2010 at 3:21 AM

I have a demo app I'd like to send your way.  Is there a way I can get that to you? I think it helps show what's happening.

Coordinator
Oct 26, 2010 at 5:47 AM
This doesn't sound good. You can email me at : einar [at] dolittle [dot] com.
Oct 26, 2010 at 6:29 PM

I have sent the demo project to the address above.  If you do not get it soon please let me know and I'll resend it again.