Best way to render both sides of surfaces

Sep 13, 2010 at 9:26 AM

Hi again, i have tryed out to add new materials on each face and only changing Material.DoubleSided property

both before and after geometry initialization inside silverlight enviroment (with invalidation and / or call to CalculateNormals)

anyway it works allright for testing,  will you implement af possibility to set color / material on the black side of the faces in future releases ?

I have also tryed to add flipped faces to the geometry programatically, but this way seems to ignore the light,
could i be doing something wrong here or is this not possible yet or in future release ?

Sep 13, 2010 at 6:58 PM

I've never considered the possibility of having the ability to have 2 different materials, depending on which side one is viewing. But it sounds like somewhat of a cool idea. 

I'll create a work item out of it, and lets see if we can get that done sometime. I'm quite busy the next couple of weeks, and have little time for Balder. But am squeezing in an hour here and there.

A bit strange you're getting lighting issues. I don't see why, quite. 

Sep 14, 2010 at 6:40 AM

well i'll try even more fidling with the light

an the way of invoking the material.DoubleSided property ..

in order to get the light working properly..

Sep 15, 2010 at 6:57 AM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Sep 15, 2010 at 12:44 PM

problem solved, i found that so called "welded" faces (faces sharing same runtime vertexs) will render the backside face black.

Meaning that i now create new nodes for each  backside face on the geometry.

and not using material.doublesided  property for this scenario.

Sep 15, 2010 at 3:14 PM

That'll work.   :)

Great you found a solution!