unable to get started : cannot create a instance exception :(

Jul 25, 2010 at 7:51 AM

hello

i discovered balder a couple of days ago, wich look just great for one of our projects

so i downloaded the binaries, installed in the toolbox

but when i drag any component into the designer i get an exception with this message :

Cannot create an instance of "Box".
"Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: type"

any help is welcome

thanks and good day

Coordinator
Jul 25, 2010 at 11:25 PM

Thanks, great you're considering Balder for your project. 

The version that is out now has a problem with the design time support, I'm afraid. But, if you feel comfortable hand-writing the Xaml, it should be fairly simple.

The design-time is something that will get full attention very soon.

Also worth mentioning. More tutorials, including screencasts will become available soon as well.  
If you have any questions - I'll be more than happy to assist you. The discussions are monitored quite often. 

Jul 26, 2010 at 6:42 AM

hi adept and thanks for your support

can you give me a very short getting started from scratch

i copied/pasted the xaml code from your sample but it does'nt worked too

it show me error in the xaml code with "Cannot create an instance of" hint error

please i really need to get started !

Coordinator
Jul 26, 2010 at 6:46 PM
Edited Jul 26, 2010 at 6:46 PM

I will publish a Getting Started screencast today, and update all the tutorials as well. Hope that will help you getting started.

I'll post the URL to the screencast here, plus on the frontpage

Coordinator
Jul 26, 2010 at 10:47 PM

Hi,

pushed a new version of Balder today that will at least not give exceptions in designtime (as long as Width + Height is set for Game). Plus I've done a screencast for getting started, its in line for conversion at Vimeo and hopefully everything should be converted in an hour or so. 

The URL for the Getting Started screencast is : http://vimeo.com/13659554

I will start to create more tutorials and put them on my blog and update the frontpage here at Codeplex with all the tutorials. I've updated some of the tutorials that has already been created. Also worth mentioning is that the SampleBrowser has quite a few samples and a sourcecode tab were you can browse the source of each sample. 

Jul 27, 2010 at 9:47 AM

that's awesome !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i tested the new version quickly and i get no more errors :)

and the new screencast is very helpfull !

i can't wait to start play with

thanks a lot

Coordinator
Jul 27, 2010 at 3:23 PM

Great. Glad you liked it.

Pop back here if you have any questions.

Jul 28, 2010 at 7:32 AM

see you hopefully very soon .... after holidays ;)

Jul 28, 2010 at 1:45 PM
Edited Jul 28, 2010 at 1:48 PM
adept wrote:

Hi,

pushed a new version of Balder today that will at least not give exceptions in designtime (as long as Width + Height is set for Game). Plus I've done a screencast for getting started, its in line for conversion at Vimeo and hopefully everything should be converted in an hour or so. 

The URL for the Getting Started screencast is : http://vimeo.com/13659554

I will start to create more tutorials and put them on my blog and update the frontpage here at Codeplex with all the tutorials. I've updated some of the tutorials that has already been created. Also worth mentioning is that the SampleBrowser has quite a few samples and a sourcecode tab were you can browse the source of each sample. 

Hi adept,

I find that I can't visit the URL for the Getting Started screencast: http://vimeo.com/13659554, also SampleBrowser. Would you help me please. I also want to get startted with Balder.

Thanks,

-zeyoo

Coordinator
Jul 28, 2010 at 2:28 PM

Thats odd - what kind of error are you getting?

Both URLs work fine from were I'm sitting (Norway), maybe you have limitations were you are?

If you download the entire sourcecode and open up the SampleBrowser.Silverlight.sln file found in Source\Solutions folder of Balder, you'll be able to compile the samplebrowser for yourself at least. 

Jul 28, 2010 at 2:40 PM

Sorry, I forgotten to tell you that I'm in China. There are some website can not visit in China. May be it is. Would you send it to my email: sunzhiyue@gmail.com ?

thanks,

-zeyoo

Coordinator
Jul 28, 2010 at 7:09 PM

Its too big for Email, but I've uploaded the video to my blog site as well, the URL is : http://www.ingebrigtsen.info/Downloads/Balder%20-%20Getting%20Started.mov

Jul 29, 2010 at 11:12 AM

Thanks, adept. It is exactly I want. Thanks for your help.

Jul 29, 2010 at 8:17 PM
Edited Jul 29, 2010 at 8:17 PM
Hi, I have played the screencast. It helps me a lot. I have a very beginning question: How do I draw a line in 3d space using Balder? For instance, I want to draw x-axis, y-axis and z-axis. It looks Balder' z-axis pointing to inside is positive value. Thank you!
Coordinator
Jul 31, 2010 at 11:00 AM
Edited Jul 31, 2010 at 11:00 AM

Hi,

Sorry about the delayed answer - been having a couple of days off since the last release - was a bit exhausted.

Balder is using a Left Handed coordinate system. Positive X going to the right, Positive Z going into the screen and Positive Y going upwards. 

For creating lines - I think I'll create a tutorial for that, since a lot of people are asking how to draw things in Balder. 

Get back to you when its done.

Aug 1, 2010 at 12:47 AM

Hi,

I want to know where is the origin?

Aug 1, 2010 at 5:11 AM

Thank you! I am waiting for it.

Coordinator
Aug 1, 2010 at 6:10 AM

Zeyoo: 

What do you mean by where the origin is? 

All objects have their default origin at center of the object; 0,0,0 in the local world for the object. You can change the origin of an object through a property called PivotPoint.

Coordinator
Aug 1, 2010 at 8:06 AM

Tutorial is out : http://www.ingebrigtsen.info/post/2010/08/01/Balder-Tutorial-Creating-a-Mesh-programatically.aspx

Aug 1, 2010 at 12:12 PM
adept wrote:

Zeyoo: 

What do you mean by where the origin is? 

All objects have their default origin at center of the object; 0,0,0 in the local world for the object. You can change the origin of an object through a property called PivotPoint.

Yes, I see. Thank you.
Aug 1, 2010 at 8:18 PM

Adpet,

Thank you so much! you did it so fast. I have looked at your tutorial. It is a big help to understand how to use your Balder in an application. I have created a class and tried derive it from Geometry class. But I got several warnings: "DesignWizard.Controls.TestGeometry': base type 'Balder.Node' is not CLS-compliant", "DesignWizard.Controls.TestGeometry': base type 'Balder.HierarchicalNode' is not CLS-compliant", "DesignWizard.Controls.TestGeometry': base type 'Balder.RenderableNode' is not CLS-compliant", "DesignWizard.Controls.TestGeometry': base type 'Balder.Objects.Geometries.Geometry' is not CLS-compliant ".

The class is:

using Balder.Objects.Geometries;

namespace DesignWizard.Controls
{
    public class TestGeometry : Geometry
    {

}
}

What is missing?

Thank you!

Aug 1, 2010 at 10:27 PM

Adept,