Multi material/material types

Jun 28, 2010 at 1:19 PM

I am really struggling to get my objects to look nice through Balder.

I am guessing its my lack of understanding of how to properly render the objects.

When I look at the object (.ase) using 3dsmax or lynx 3d viewer the object look wonderful,

however when I run them through my samplebrowser they are just 2 colour blended without

any sheen, and they look a bit "grainy" when I zoom in/out or rotate.

I am no graphic artist, so I am looking to use either free or purchased 3d objects that I can import

and use within Balder.

Does anyone have an example of (non-skinned via .jpg) good looking 3d models and the code

to set up lighting/shading/multi materials (including say Metal) please?

Many thanks, Chris

Jun 29, 2010 at 7:47 AM
Edited Jun 29, 2010 at 9:24 AM

Balder has for the time being a bit limited rendering capabilities - mostly resembling Playstation 1 quality at the moment.
The following things are what I've defined as missing in the rendering, please add to it if you see more things you'd like to see:

- Shaded texturemapping
- Perspective corrected texturemapping and shading
- Multi-texturing, enabling 2 textures or 1 texture and a reflection map
- Bump mapping / Normal interpolation

In addition the following:

- "Vertex shader" - the ability to get a callback for each vertex during rendering to be able to modify it
- Make the Materials responsible for calculation based on lighting - instead of as today, lights actually calculating the color of a vertex/triangle.

I'd love to get the 3D model you want to have in Balder and images or even better, something executable that has the model in it that shows your expected result. That makes it a lot easier for me to actually get to that point. 

my email is : einar [at] dolittle [dot] com

Jun 29, 2010 at 9:25 AM

Hi Adept,

Thank you for your reply as always :)

I will send you an email with some .ase files that I have converted using 3dsmax (they were .max originally).

For viewing the ase objects I use a freeware program called Lynx 3d viewer lite (available from )

If you open the .ase files you can see the objects are pretty good quality.  I got the objects themselves free from and

for testing purposes.

I must add that you are doing an outstanding job with the Balder API, it is by far the best 3d engine for Silverlight.

All the best, Chris

Jun 29, 2010 at 9:27 AM

Thanks a lot. Hoping this summer will make it even better. :)

I'll look into prioritizing some of the features above really quickly. I want to get all the lighting a lot better.

Jun 30, 2010 at 10:17 AM

Hi Adept, I would like to add transparency to the list...