Can't get my 3d object to display

Jun 17, 2010 at 3:46 PM
Edited Jun 17, 2010 at 3:46 PM

I Apologies up front if this is a basic error, however I am very green to 3d and animation (my first time looking at it)

Ok, I am using VS2010 Professional and your latest release of Balder (

I have opened the "GettingStarted" example you provide in the sources package.

I have taken a free 3d object (.max format) and converted it to .ase for Balder compatibility.

I added this .ase to the GettingStarted project and set it as a resource.

In MyGame.cs, I modified the following line to say...

<font face="Consolas" size="2">

_audi = ContentManager.Load<

When I run the project, all I get is a black screen.

If I load the default Audi object it works perfectly, so I am not too sure what I am doing wrong.

I would welcome any pointers you can give me to get me past this problem.

Many Thanks, Chris

Jun 17, 2010 at 5:49 PM

it could be the Camera position. You might be sitting inside the model. If you open up the ASE file and look at the vertex data in the file. Take the largest number and multiply it by 2 and set the Z position of the Camera to that number, you should be seeing something. 

Hope that helps. 

If you still have problems, just email me your solution and I'll see if I can figure out whats going on ( einar [at] dolittle [dot] com).

Jun 18, 2010 at 8:19 AM

Thank you Adept, you were spot on!

Changed the Camera position (had to zoom out quite a bit on z) and now I see the model :)

Just for information purposes, I am looking to build an interactive room combining multiple objects and making them interactive

utilising Pan, fly by and zoom in.  Is this something that is realisticly achievable with the current toolset? 

My ultimate aim is to use this as a 3d user interface (zoom into object, highlight key parts of objects, then present

floating buttons and information when the click on various parts).

Many thanks for your help,

Jun 18, 2010 at 9:02 AM

Great that it worked out. 

What you're trying to do sounds just perfect for Balder. 

What it all boils down to is the complexity of the objects.
With the next release there is a new event model for manipulation of objects as well.  

Jun 18, 2010 at 10:21 AM

That sounds fantastic re next release :)

Now I just need to learn how to convert vertex textures into jpg skins or diffuse texture mapping (as I have grey models at the moment).

All the best,