Clipping issues or what?

Mar 8, 2010 at 8:49 PM
Edited Mar 8, 2010 at 8:51 PM

It seems to be that there are some clipping problems or something similar. I've created a test project to demonstrate the strange behaviour:

The xaml file:

<Grid x:Name="LayoutRoot">
    <local:GameTest Width="500" Height="500" />
</Grid>

The GameTest class:

public class GameTest : Game
{
    public override void OnLoadContent()
    {
        base.OnLoadContent();

Box b = new Box();
        b.Dimension = new Balder.Core.Math.Coordinate(10, 10, 0.5);
        this.Children.Add(b);

Camera.Position = new Balder.Core.Math.Coordinate(0.71, 0, 14.82);
        Camera.Target = new Balder.Core.Math.Coordinate(1.67, 0, 14.51);
        Camera.Up = Vector.UnitY;
    }  

}

So, there is a box in the middle of the coordinate system. And the camera is set up a little bit away and is NOT facing the box. Still, in the browser there are (big) artifacts of the box visible... And it's not only with these coordinates of the camera. For example, it's also happening with: Position=(15.98, 0, 52.84), Target=(16.89, 0, 52.43)....

What seems to be the officer, problem?

Coordinator
Mar 9, 2010 at 3:18 PM

Hi,

you are correct. There are some clipping problems when one gets polygons that are intersecting with the view. They are in fact not clipped at all. The clipping is for now disabled, due to problems with the clipping. This is something we're looking at these days and hopefully will have a fix for very soon.

Thanks for pointing it out though.

Mar 9, 2010 at 6:36 PM

Could you please tell me when do you expect this to be solved? I'm doing my Masters thesis this semestar, and I was planning to use Balder, but if this won't be fixed soon I'll have to switch to something other...

Coordinator
Mar 9, 2010 at 7:25 PM

Cool. 

I can see if I can prioritize it this week. Would that be fast enough for you?  At least I can create a small fix that will make it remove the polygons that are intersecting the viewport in the near plane.
If you'd like the binaries and not want to get the source, please drop me an email, so I can give you a special version with it, my email is : einar _at _ dolittle _dot_ com

Mar 9, 2010 at 7:29 PM

Yes, this week, or the next week will be fine. I can focus on other parts meanwhile. Tnx!

PS. I've just sent you an email...

Coordinator
Mar 9, 2010 at 7:35 PM

Great.. I'll get to you with binaries as soon as I have it ready for you.