Visual Studio Upgrade

Coordinator
Jul 29, 2007 at 6:23 AM
We will upgrade project and solution files to Visual Studio 2008 Beta2 today. The reason for doing so is that the debugging facilities of Beta1 and Silverlight seldomly works.

VS2008 Beta 2 can be downloaded freely from Microsofts site. In addition wer'e closing in on the expiry of the Silverlight 1.1 Alpha plugin. There is a refresh out now as well.

All links can be found at Tim Sneaths excellent blog : http://blogs.msdn.com/tims/archive/2007/07/27/silverlight-1-0-rc1-is-here.aspx
Aug 9, 2007 at 6:55 AM
hi ,
after getting the Silverlight 1.0 RC update msg and updating the framework - Balder stopped working - I got the error msg "The Silverlight Framework is not installed" ,
I uninstalled Orcas Beta 1 + Silverlight tools for Orcas beta 1 + SL 1.0 + SL 1.1 alpha and then downloaded and installed Orcas Beta 2 + Silverlight tools for Orcas Beta 2 + SL 1.0RC + SL 1.1 AlpheRefresh and Balder project still won't compile giving the same error msg ,

have you encountered such a problem ? what else can I do to make it work ?

10x ,

Victor
Coordinator
Aug 9, 2007 at 11:01 AM
Hi.
Could you post the entire compiler error here?

victorbar wrote:
hi ,
after getting the Silverlight 1.0 RC update msg and updating the framework - Balder stopped working - I got the error msg "The Silverlight Framework is not installed" ,
I uninstalled Orcas Beta 1 + Silverlight tools for Orcas beta 1 + SL 1.0 + SL 1.1 alpha and then downloaded and installed Orcas Beta 2 + Silverlight tools for Orcas Beta 2 + SL 1.0RC + SL 1.1 AlpheRefresh and Balder project still won't compile giving the same error msg ,

have you encountered such a problem ? what else can I do to make it work ?

10x ,

Victor

Aug 10, 2007 at 9:45 AM
------ Build started: Project: Balder, Configuration: Debug Any CPU ------
The Silverlight framework is not installed.
------ Build started: Project: BalderTestApp, Configuration: Debug Any CPU ------
------ Build started: Project: Asteroids, Configuration: Debug Any CPU ------
========== Build: 0 succeeded or up-to-date, 3 failed, 0 skipped ==========

and that's after installing Orcas Beta 2 + SilverLight for Orcas Beta 2 + SL 1.0 Rc + SL 1.1 Alpha Refresh

my guess is that the problem has something to do with local samples using SL 1.1 because all the samples on SilverLight.Net work fine ,
funny thing though : if I open the TestPage.html of BalderTestApp - it requires SL 1.0RC , while opening Asteroids/TestPage.html - requires SL 1.1 Alpha.

what can be the problem ?
Coordinator
Aug 11, 2007 at 9:36 AM
It seems that this is a known issue at Microsoft. I found a thread at Silverlight .net that has a couple of workarounds you might want to try :

http://silverlight.net/forums/p/3491/10197.aspx

Hope that works out for you. Keep me posted if it doesn't and I'll see if I can bend things

victorbar wrote:
------ Build started: Project: BalderTestApp, Configuration: Debug Any CPU ------

and that's after installing Orcas Beta 2 + SilverLight for Orcas Beta 2 + SL 1.0 Rc + SL 1.1 Alpha Refresh

my guess is that the problem has something to do with local samples using SL 1.1 because all the samples on SilverLight.Net work fine ,
funny thing though : if I open the TestPage.html of BalderTestApp - it requires SL 1.0RC , while opening Asteroids/TestPage.html - requires SL 1.1 Alpha.

Aug 11, 2007 at 7:28 PM
OK Great - we are advancing towards solving this ...

I made the following changes to find the silverlight framework:

1) Registry Update :
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ActiveX Compatibility\32C73088-76AE-40F7-AC40-81F62CB2C1DA
"Compatibility Flags"=dword:00000400
"AlternateCLSID"="{DFEAF541-F3E1-4c24-ACAC-99C30715084A}"
@="C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Silverlight\\npctrl.dll"

2) I modified the following XML file:
C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft\VisualStudio\v9.0\Silverlight\Microsoft.Silverlight.Common.targets.xml

replacing:

<Project xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/developer/msbuild/2003">
<UsingTask TaskName="Microsoft.VisualStudio.Silverlight.Build.Tasks.GetSilverlightFrameworkPath" AssemblyFile="Microsoft.VisualStudio.Silverlight.Build.Tasks.dll" />
<UsingTask TaskName="Microsoft.VisualStudio.Silverlight.Build.Tasks.CompileXaml" AssemblyFile="Microsoft.VisualStudio.Silverlight.Build.Tasks.dll" />

<!--
Add Silverlight specific Item names to AvailableItemName item, so that they can show up
in a drop-down menu for Build Action field of the properties window in VisualStudio.
-->

<ItemGroup Condition="'$(BuildingInsideVisualStudio)'=='true'">
<AvailableItemName Include="SilverlightPage" />
</ItemGroup>

<!--
================================================================
GetFrameworkPaths

Override GetFrameworkPaths in Microsoft.Common.targets so that
references resolve to the silverlight assemblies rather than the
desktop CLR assemblies
-->
<Target
Name="GetFrameworkPaths"
DependsOnTargets="$(GetFrameworkPathsDependsOn)"
>
<GetSilverlightFrameworkPath>
<Output TaskParameter="Path" PropertyName="TargetFrameworkDirectory"/>
<Output TaskParameter="Path" ItemName="TargetFrameworkDirectoryItem"/>
<Output TaskParameter="Path" PropertyName="TargetFrameworkSDKDirectory"/>
<Output TaskParameter="Path" ItemName="TargetFrameworkSDKDirectoryItem"/>
</GetSilverlightFrameworkPath>

<CreateProperty Value="$(TargetFrameworkDirectory)">
<Output TaskParameter="Value" PropertyName="FrameworkPathOverride"/>
</CreateProperty>
<CreateProperty Value="$(TargetFrameworkDirectory)">
<Output TaskParameter="Value" PropertyName="SdkPath"/>
</CreateProperty>
</Target>

with:

<Project xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/developer/msbuild/2003">
<UsingTask TaskName="Microsoft.VisualStudio.Silverlight.Build.Tasks.CompileXaml" AssemblyFile="Microsoft.VisualStudio.Silverlight.Build.Tasks.dll" />

<!--
Add Silverlight specific Item names to AvailableItemName item, so that they can show up
in a drop-down menu for Build Action field of the properties window in VisualStudio.
-->

<ItemGroup Condition="'$(BuildingInsideVisualStudio)'=='true'">
<AvailableItemName Include="SilverlightPage" />
</ItemGroup>

<!--
GetFrameworkPaths

Override GetFrameworkPaths in Microsoft.Common.targets so that
references resolve to the silverlight assemblies rather than the
desktop CLR assemblies
-->
<Target
Name="GetFrameworkPaths"
DependsOnTargets="$(GetFrameworkPathsDependsOn)"
>

<CreateProperty Value="C:\Program Files\Microsoft Silverlight">
<Output TaskParameter="Value" PropertyName="FrameworkPathOverride"/>
</CreateProperty>
<CreateProperty Value="C:\Program Files\Microsoft Silverlight">
<Output TaskParameter="Value" PropertyName="SdkPath"/>
</CreateProperty>
</Target>
3) I rereferenced the badly referenced DLLs (agclr.dll , System.Silverlight.dll , System.Xml.Core.dll)

now I'm down to 8 errors ... ,

all the errors are originated in BalderTestApp --> Meshes.Deigner.cs
and error messages are :

Error 17 The type 'System.Diagnostics.CodeAnalysis.SuppressMessageAttribute' exists in both 'c:\SilverLight\Balder-8990\Balder\ClientBin\Balder.dll' and 'c:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC32\mscorlib\2.0.0.0_b77a5c561934e089\mscorlib.dll' C:\SilverLight\Balder-8990\BalderTestApp\Meshes.Designer.cs 31 50 BalderTestApp
Error 18 The type or namespace name 'SuppressMessageAttributeAttribute' does not exist in the namespace 'System.Diagnostics.CodeAnalysis' (are you missing an assembly reference?) C:\SilverLight\Balder-8990\BalderTestApp\Meshes.Designer.cs 31 50 BalderTestApp
Error 19 The type 'System.ComponentModel.EditorBrowsableAttribute' exists in both 'c:\SilverLight\Balder-8990\Balder\ClientBin\Balder.dll' and 'c:\WINDOWS\assembly\GACMSIL\System\2.0.0.0_b77a5c561934e089\System.dll' C:\SilverLight\Balder-8990\BalderTestApp\Meshes.Designer.cs 38 40 BalderTestApp
Error 20 The type or namespace name 'EditorBrowsableAttributeAttribute' does not exist in the namespace 'System.ComponentModel' (are you missing an assembly reference?) C:\SilverLight\Balder-8990\BalderTestApp\Meshes.Designer.cs 38 40 BalderTestApp
Error 21 The type 'System.ComponentModel.EditorBrowsableAttribute' exists in both 'c:\SilverLight\Balder-8990\Balder\ClientBin\Balder.dll' and 'c:\WINDOWS\assembly\GACMSIL\System\2.0.0.0_b77a5c561934e089\System.dll' C:\SilverLight\Balder-8990\BalderTestApp\Meshes.Designer.cs 53 40 BalderTestApp
Error 22 The type or namespace name 'EditorBrowsableAttributeAttribute' does not exist in the namespace 'System.ComponentModel' (are you missing an assembly reference?) C:\SilverLight\Balder-8990\BalderTestApp\Meshes.Designer.cs 53 40 BalderTestApp
Error 23 The type 'System.CodeDom.Compiler.GeneratedCodeAttribute' exists in both 'c:\SilverLight\Balder-8990\Balder\ClientBin\Balder.dll' and 'c:\WINDOWS\assembly\GACMSIL\System\2.0.0.0_b77a5c561934e089\System.dll' C:\SilverLight\Balder-8990\BalderTestApp\Meshes.Designer.cs 22 38 BalderTestApp
Error 24 The type or namespace name 'GeneratedCodeAttributeAttribute' does not exist in the namespace 'System.CodeDom.Compiler' (are you missing an assembly reference?) C:\SilverLight\Balder-8990\BalderTestApp\Meshes.Designer.cs 22 38 BalderTestApp

Is it really a missing reference ? - let me know If I can help somehow.

adept wrote:
It seems that this is a known issue at Microsoft. I found a thread at Silverlight .net that has a couple of workarounds you might want to try :

http://silverlight.net/forums/p/3491/10197.aspx

Hope that works out for you. Keep me posted if it doesn't and I'll see if I can bend things

victorbar wrote:

Coordinator
Aug 12, 2007 at 4:26 AM
Microsoft released an update on friday for the Visual Studio tools for Silverlight that should resolve this issue.

http://timheuer.com/blog/archive/2007/08/10/silverlight-updated-silverlight-tools-for-visual-studio.aspx

Please keep me posted if you still got issues after trying that one out.

Sorry for the iconvience!
Aug 12, 2007 at 10:18 AM
I did try to install the SL tools for Orcas beta 2 and it didn't seem to help , however I didn't uninstall the previous version first , so I'll try it and update you , but everything is working for you ok now ?

adept wrote:
Microsoft released an update on friday for the Visual Studio tools for Silverlight that should resolve this issue.

http://timheuer.com/blog/archive/2007/08/10/silverlight-updated-silverlight-tools-for-visual-studio.aspx

Coordinator
Aug 13, 2007 at 10:37 AM
I haven't had any issues with it. The thing is, the update I'm referring to in my last post is an update for the update.. :) That means, they discovered some problems with the Orcas Beta 2 toolkit and updated it this friday, so it's a smoking hot update..

Let me know if it works out for you or not.

victorbar wrote:
I did try to install the SL tools for Orcas beta 2 and it didn't seem to help , however I didn't uninstall the previous version first , so I'll try it and update you , but everything is working for you ok now ?

adept wrote:

Aug 13, 2007 at 7:31 PM
Bingo ! - Balder works like a charm ! :-)

10x 4 the help !

adept wrote:
I haven't had any issues with it. The thing is, the update I'm referring to in my last post is an update for the update.. :) That means, they discovered some problems with the Orcas Beta 2 toolkit and updated it this friday, so it's a smoking hot update..

Let me know if it works out for you or not.

victorbar wrote:

adept wrote: